Steamed Lava Cake Pedis
This is a recipe you can make at the camping site, bring a simple rice steamer and you can make rich, spicy steamed lava cakes. Lava Cake Pedis I call them.
This recipe is for 5 cupcake sized cakes, done in 30 minutes.
Watch my youtube video about steamed lava cake pedis or read on for the recipe in text and pictures.
- 90 grams of dark chocolate
- 40 grams of chocolate with a flavor
- 40 grams of unsalted butter
- 2 eggs, one egg yolk
- 40 grams of caster sugar
- 30 grams of flour
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 chili pepper
- Melt the 90 grams of dark chocolate with the butter au bain-marie (in a bowl on top of hot water).
- Whip up the eggs, sugar, vanilla and the pinch of salt on high setting until super airy and light in color (5 minutes).
- Add the bit cooled down chocolate-butter mix and scoop it through with a spatula (do not use the whisk anymore).
- Siff the flour and scoop it through.
- Pour the batter into 5 molds, place them in the colander of the steam pan and steam on high heat for 5-8 minutes (depending on the size and shape of your molds).
Because I fill my cakes with a piece or two of a dark chocolate with a flavor, I choose something different everytime. I like dark chocolate with orange zest or with rasberries. I buy good quality dark chocolate because it makes these cakes even more rich and lush.
I chop my chili pepper as fine as possible and add it to the chocolate, while melting in the au bain marie pan or when the chocolate and butter are melted already.
Now I whisk on high setting the eggs, together with the sugar, vanilla sugar (or extract) and salt. Whisk for about 3-5 minutes.
I let my chocolate-butter mix cool for a few minutes before I add it to the batter. Otherwise, I am afraid my fluffy eggs will collapse. I use a spatula to mix. Same goes for the flour. I fold it in in two batches. Now my batter is ready for my molds. I’ve greased my earthenware molds with some butter.
I’ve heated up my rice cooker pan. The water needs to be boiling fiercely when I place my cakes on top in the collander. I steam them for about 6-8 minutes; depending on the size of the molds.
Done! I let them cool for a few minutes before turning them over on a plate. Time to enjoy these dark, spicy, lava cakes pedis, made in a steamer.