Simple Sayur Green Beans
From now on, when you do not have much time, you’ll prepare all your vegetables with a stock cube. 😉 This sayur green beans is extremely manageable but the taste is surprisingly different from a regular green bean dish.
This dish is quick, convenient, and the perfect side or vegetarian dish (with vegetable stock). Do not let the beans overcook; they should stay crisp.
Simple Sayur Beans #90 translated from Groot Indonesisch Kookboek, Beb Vuyk, page 107.
- 400 grams green beans
- 3 tablespoons chopped onions
- 1 chopped clove of garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon sambal ulek (chili salsa)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 bouillon cube dissolved in 1/2 liter of water or leftover broth or gravy
- Break the beans into three.
- Prepare them as sayur cabbage, but dissolve the bouillon with more water and let the beans cook for at least 10 minutes until they are almost done.
This sayur beans can be combined with a variety of other vegetables or you can replace the beans with, for example, broccoli, cauliflower, carrot, snow peas or parsnip.
The variety of broth and the sambal (chili salsa) determines the flavor of this dish. This sayur green beans is excellent with a sambal trassi or a sambal petai. The trassi (fermented shrimp paste) with its different
It’s not much work to make your own sambal. I make small amounts of sambal to test and I get better at it rather quickly. Great to experiment with the spiciness to make your own signature sambal ;-). If you like to try sometime check this link.