Sayur Tumis of Chinese Cabbage
This sayur tumis of Chinese cabbage (also known as Napa cabbage) is deliciously easy and crunchy and sweet. I like Chinese cabbage. It’s super versatile. You can make all kinds of stir-fry dishes with it, but also kimchi, for example. This sayur tumis is ready in 20 minutes and is enough for 4 people.
Sayur Tumis of Chinese cabbage (Sesawi) #100 from Beb Vuyk’s Groot Indonesisch Kookboek, page 111.
- 1/2 kg Chinese cabbage
- 3 tablespoons of oil
- 1/2 liter of stock made from 1 stock cube
- 3 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 chopped clove of garlic
- 1 teaspoon sambal terasi
- 1 teaspoon galangal
- 2 tablespoons ebi (dried shrimp)
- Soak the dried shrimp for at least 1 hour in some water.
- Let them drain and grind them together with the herbs.
- Cut the Chinese cabbage into coarse pieces in the same way as endive.
- Wash and drain.
- Fry the Chinese cabbage a handful at a time together with the herbs.
- Add the stock and let the sayur simmer for another 5 to 6 minutes.
I chop my Chinese cabbage coarsely and wash everything well. Ebi are dried shrimps. I buy this at my Asian food store, in a vacuum package. I let them soak in some water for a while. I’m going to make it easy today and put all the ingredients intended for the cobek in my kitchen blender and chop everything finely. I use fresh galangal because I still have some in the freezer.
Now I can fry everything in the pan. The ebi smells strongly and immediately gives a lot of flavor.
I stir in the cabbage and let it cook for another minute. Then I add with 1/2 liter of stock made from a stock cube.
This can now simmer for a while, about 5 minutes. Not too long, otherwise the cabbage will become too tender. This sayur tumis of Chinese cabbage has a quite strong taste due to the ebi. You cannot simply combine this with another dish. This sayur is delicious with an omelette or other egg dish! Selamat makan.