Sambal Goreng Cod with Kecap
You only need half an hour to make this sambal goreng cod. It is a healthy and tasty dish. Beb Vuyk’s recipe is clear, simple and works fine with fish from the freezer. Together with white rice and acar (pickles) you have this meal ready in no time. It’s important to use a good quality kecap manis (sweet soy sauce).
This fried fish with sambal is enough for 2-3 people and is ready in less than 30 minutes.
Sambal Goreng Cod #206 translated from Beb Vuyk’s Groot Indonesisch Kookboek, page 195.
- Cod or haddock fillets 1/2 kg
- 5 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped onions
- 1 chopped clove of garlic
- 2 teaspoons sambal ulek (chili salsa)
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- Sauté the fillets quickly in hot oil until golden.
- Drain them.
- Place them on a plate.
- Mix onions, garlic and sambal together. For people who are afraid of food that is too spicy, replace sambal with tomato paste.
- Fry the spices and the onion, garlic and sambal mix in hot oil until the onions turn yellow.
- Add the soy sauce and lemon juice.
- Pour the warm sauce over the fried fillets.
I use kecap manis for my sambal goreng cod. The sweetest I know is ABC kecap manis. It’s not necessary to use salt in this dish because the kecap is salty enough. Do not overcook the fish. Fillets need a minute or two.
I sprinkle some extra spring onions on top. It goes well with this dish.
This sambal goreng cod with sweet kecap goes perfectly with jasmine rice and a fresh salad or cucumber pickles.
Want to see more Indonesian fish dishes on this blog? Check out this link.