Fried eggs in kecap sauce
If you want to prepare something very easy and delicious and vegetarian, check out this Indonesian fried egg in kecap sauce recipe. This dish is ready in 10 minutes and needs just a few ingredients. Make sure you have a great soy sauce. I use soy sauce from ABC. It is super sweet and goes perfectly with this sweet and sour seasoning.
This recipe is done in 10 minutes and is enough for 4 people.
Fried eggs with ketjap sauce translated from Groot Indonesisch Kookboek, page 275.
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 tablespoon of chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon of sambal ulek
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- lemon juice
- Fry the eggs in the usual way.
- Place them on a platter.
- Add the chopped onion and the sambal to the remaining butter in the pan.
- Let this sauté for a while and finish the mixture with the soy sauce.
- Pour this sauce over the eggs. Finish with lemon juice if necessary.
My sambal ulek is finished. So I add (in this case dried) chili pepper. Sambal Ulek is a basic sambal. Want to see what you can do with it? Check out my video.
Want to see more Indonesian egg recipes? Beb Vuyk has devoted an entire chapter to it in her book. Beb says: “Eggs are used in many dishes in Indonesian cuisine. In sambal gorengs, hard-boiled, fried or poached, stewed in various sauces and finally as an omelette (dadar) ”. Translated from Beb Vuyk’s Groott Indonesisch Kookboek, page 269.
Vegetarian Indonesian recipes
Beb Vuyk loved Indonesian vegetarian dishes. She even wrote a book about it. Want to see more Indonesian vegetarian dishes? Click here.