Banana Cake – Kue Pisang
I love cakes that are super easy to make and are gorgeous in flavor. I make cake a lot in my rice steamer. My machine has a dessert setting, but you can make this banana cake in a super simple rice cooker with only one setting (cook rice).
See how I do it? Check out my video or read on for the recipe in text and pictures.
- 250 grams of flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
- 4 eggs
- 400 grams of bananas (no skin)
- juice of half a lime
- 1 teaspoon of stem ginger/baby ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon of cardemon extract
- 100 mililiter rice oil
- 80 grams of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- Place the bananas, fresh and baby ginger and the juice of half a lime in a jug and make fine with an emersion blender or kitchen machine.
- Add the eggs, sugar salt, cardamon extract with the baking powder and baking soda in a bowl and mix with hand or standing mixer until light and airy (for about 5 minutes).
- Add the oil and fold this into the batter with a spatula (do not use a mixer anymore)
- Add the banana mix and fold it into the batter.
- Sieve the flour and add it in 3 batches to the batter.
- Grease the pan of the rice cooker.
- Pour in the batter.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes.
- Check if the cake is done with a skewer and serve.
This banana cake is fun to make with kids. Also a lot saver because no oven is needed. My daughter Loulou adds the eggs, sugar salt, cardamon extract and the baking powder and baking soda in a bowl and mixes it with a hand or standing mixer until light and airy (for about 5 minutes).
Loulou has added the oil already, so now the banana mix (with the two types of ginger) can go in now. Do not whisk this batter anymore from now on otherwise you will hit out the airy in the batter.
Done! Now bake this for 50 minutes in the rice cooker. Check if your cake is done after 50 minutes. If not, leave it in the cooker on keep warm setting another extra 5 minutes.
I use my dessert setting, but some cookers have a cake setting too. When you make this in a regular rice cooker with only one setting, turn it on and keep turning it on until the 50 minutes is over.
Want to see more sweet (Indonesian) food. Check out my playlist.