This is a gluten-free sticky rice cake made of super simple ingredients. If you can get hold of sticky rice flour, this cake will succeed. If it’s hard to get pandan leaves, don’t worry, leave them out. Some food coloring will add to the presentation and if you use rose or pandan flavor it will enhance the taste of these sticky cake.
See how I make this awuk awuk? I’ve made a video about it.
Ingrediënten Awuk Awuk
- 75 grams of sticky rice flour
- 75 grams of plain sugar
- 100 grams of grinded coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla (sugar)
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- pandan leaves
- food coloring (roses or pandan)
- Add flour, sugar, shredded coconut, vanilla sugar and salt together in own bowl and mix well
- If you use dry shredded coconut, add 3 tablespoons of water, to make the coconut a bit moist.
- Separate batter in two batches and color one with food coloring.
- Layer (plastic) mold that can withstand heat with pandan leaves.
- Fill the mold with the two colored layers.
- Steam for 20-30 minutes, depending on the size of your mold.
- Let cool and cut into cubes.
The preparation is super easy. Just mix in all the ingredients except for the pandan leaves and foodcoloring.
Mix this rather dry mix well. Add 3 tablespoons of water to the mix and keep mixing. The ‘batter’ stays crumbly like coarse breadcrumbs.
Now I separate half of the mix and add food coloring to it. I love pandan color and flavor, but rose flavor is delicious too. I love cardemon too. It will not give color, but it is a lovely combination with coconut.
I line a mold that can withstand heat with pandan leaves, Make sure the mold can fit into a steamer. You can use a special steam pan for it, like I do, or you can place a sieve or colander on top of a big pan with boiling water.
Place the lid, wrapped in a tea towel, on top and steam om medium high heat this awuk awuk cake for 30 minutes. Smaller molds need less time, about 15-20 minutes.
Take out the cake when it has cooled down. I leave the pandan at the bottom for flavor and that the super sticky cake will not stick to the plate.
These sticky awuk awuk are pretty heavy but still it is difficult not to keep eating them. I keep them under some plastic wrap out of the fridge. When they are at room temperture they taste best.
More sweet Indonesian recipes needed? Check out this link!