Braise of eggplant and tomatoes
This braise of eggplant with tomatoes dish is definitely a healthy side dish. Finally, you can make eggplant surprisingly tasty, almost meaty. 😉 Eggplant, or aubergine, is not my favorite vegetable, but of course, it depends on what you do with. Well, this recipe deals with the eggplant as if it is meat; covered with a delicious crispy tomato sauce. Yes, yummy!
Braise of Aubergines with Tomato #458 translated from Beb Vuyk’s Groot Indonesisch Kookboek, page 369.
- 1 medium eggplant
- 2 large tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons oil
- a few drops of lemon juice
Herbs and spices
- 1 tablespoon chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon sambal oelek
- 1 teaspoon Javanese sugar (gula jawa)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Cut the eggplant with skin and all into thick slices, sprinkle with salt and fry on both sides until brown.
- Take them out before they are completely done.
- Rub onions, chili paste, and sugar together with the peeled tomatoes.
- Fry them in the remaining oil.
- Allow the sauce to thicken slightly.
- Mix soy sauce and lemon juice into the mixture and spread it over the eggplant slices.
To peel tomatoes, make small cuts in the skin and lay them in hot water for about 10 minutes. The skin will come off easily.
The few drops of lemon do a lot for this dish. You can still taste in the end.
The half-done eggplant is lovely: this dish has a bite. The onion and gula jawa make it sweet and the sambal spices it up just enough. Enak!
Want to see more Indonesian vegetable recipes? Check out this link
I’ve also made a video about 3 delicious Indonesian salads.