Orak Arik – Vegetables with minced Meat
Orak Arik is a quick dish with vegetables, egg and minced meat. Add rice or potatoes as a side dish and your meal is a healthy one. You can use all kinds of vegetables, but Beb opts for green cabbage or pointed cabbage. I think it’s delicious with snow peas or green beans as well.
This recipe is done in 30 minutes and is enough for 2-3 people.
Orak Arik I (finely chopped vegetables with minced meat) #452 translated from Beb Vuyk’s Groot Indonesisch Kookboek, page 365.
- 1/2 kg cabbage (green or pointed cabbage)
- 100 grams of minced meat
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped onions
- 2 chopped cloves of garlic
- Cut the cabbage very finely.
- Fry the meat in the oil add the onions, garlic and salt and pepper. Add a little more pepper than usual.
- When the meat is done, add the cabbage and stir fry it not too long. It needs to stay crunchy.
- Beat the eggs with salt and pepper.
- Mix it into your meat and cabbage, stir until the egg is set.
The onion makes this dish sweet and the cabbage with minced meat gives it a bite.
No soy sauce? No ginger, no lemongrass? Nope, just onion and garlic and it’s done. Enough salt and pepper is of course important. I’ve chopped some celery to add more color, but that is not necessary. Enjoy this simple orak arik.