Sayur Oblok Oblok
The name alone is fun already. This sayur oblok oblok is a vegetable soup with tempeh and my favorite: petai beans.
The recipe contains quite a few ingredients, but in terms of seasoning, it is easy. For the first time, I use ebi: dried shrimp. They add a lot of flavor and smell to the dish. Delicious. It seems as if they enhance the flavor of the petai beans. I love petai beans. They are super creamy and fragrant. Their taste is crucial to the whole dish. Petai beans are also known as peteh bean, bitter bean, twisted cluster bean, stinker or stink bean.
This time I use Savoy cabbage. The tender cabbage and the curly leaves help to let the flavor of the broth stick to the cabbage.
This recipe is enough for about 3 people and done in 1 hour (not calculated the dried ebi who have to be in water for 1 hour)
Sayur Oblok Oblok #114 translated from Beb Vuyk Groot Indonesisch Kookboek, page 123.
- 200 grams green beans
- 200 grams of cabbage (green, white, or savoy cabbage)
- Half block tempeh
- 3 green chilies
- 5 petai beans (fresh or salted)
- 2 tablespoons ebi
- 1/4 block santen
Herbs and spices
- 3/4 liter of meat broth, or stock cube
- 3 tablespoons chopped onions
- 2 chopped cloves of garlic
- 2 teaspoons sambal terasi
- 1 teaspoon laos
- 2 salam leaves
- Leave the ebi for at least 1 hour in a bowl of water.
- Peel the petai beans and cut them into quarters; the salted petai must be soaked in water first.
- Rub the herbs except for the salam leaves together.
- Bring the green beans and the green chilies, split open en unseeded, to a boil.
- Add the herbs, the petai and the soaked ebi.
- Cut the cabbage into large pieces, the tempe into cubes of 2 cm +/- and break the beans in half.
- Cook them in the broth with the santen and the salam leaves.
Quite a lot of different ingredients go into this sayur. That makes a delicious dish layered with flavors. I cook tthis sayur oblok oblok as long as the green beans need. If you want to eat less meat you can choose of course for a a vegetable stock.
Make sure your vegetables stay crisp. Do not cook them too long. Selamat makan!